Saturday, June 19, 2010

Listening To The Cars


I came to Korea with no music because I was curious to find out what sonic deprivation would compel me to download illegally from the internet. Tonight it was The Cars. It's hotter and humider than the inside of a napalmed watermelon on a Saturday night here in Bucheon and I'm tired of hitting the bars in hopes of finding community and a nice girl to get to know. The party scene for foreigners here is hard to navigate without feeling like a cliched honky douche. I'm feeling more like turning inward and reestablishing a connection to ideals I've held since youth. The Cars and Soju are helping to carry me through.

2 comments:

  1. Weird to think Weezer has made millions ripping off the Cars. Even GBV has made a couple hundred dollars ripping off the Cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that was a quick reply. We're on the same wavelength tonight/yesterday Aries brother. That's an interesting point about Weezer and GBV. I think you're right. On the other side of the spectrum I remember reading somewhere that the band Television shit their pants when they first heard The Cars cause they realized that they'd been ripped off by a more commercial sounding New Wave band that would eclipse any success they enjoyed up to that point. But whatever, I dig both equally. Always have been suspicious of Weezer even though I don't mind a couple of singles when they turn up on the radio. GBV will always be good in my book. Pure American outsider art tarnishing the edges of the mainstream.

    ReplyDelete