Saturday, May 1, 2010

This Could Be Heaven and This Could Be Hell

This past week students took mid-term exams which meant I didn't have to teach classes. Koreans take education so seriously that flight paths of commercial airlines are rearranged during this time so as not disturb those whose entire future earning potential might be affected by a break of concentration caused by a passing plane. Every school I've seen has areas around the perimeter girded by twenty foot corrugated metal sound proof walls blocking noise from street traffic. Thinking about my 14 year stint at SDSU in comparison cracked me up.
(Path up the first mountain)

Spring has sprung this week and all the dead winter branches are sprouting with baby green leaves. The teachers get sort of stir crazy without anything to do at work so this past Friday was an organized hike over a nearby mountain and down to a restaurant on the other side. We drank bowls of Makgeolli and ate a Korean chicken dish that consists of a whole roasted chicken stuffed with ginseng, garlic and tree roots. Then we hiked up another mountain.


(Korean country chicken restaurant and school staff)

(View of the next town over from the second mountain top)

I was feeling peacefully dazed after the wine, medicinal chicken, and mountain climbing to the degree that I was just looking forward to going home and reading myself to sleep. But earlier I had tried to make a joke with my boss by pointing at the PA system in the restaurant and saying "Ah, karaoke." so I found myself being ushered into a cab once we descended the mountainside to head downtown to a karaoke palace where groups can rent a room, drink beer, and hug each other while singing golden oldies. Mostly the athletic department showed up, an energetic bunch, and they wouldn't take my laid back American brush off of the mic for an answer. It was demanded that I sing "Hotel California" and I surprised myself by doing a pretty good Don Henley. I started getting into it and sang "Whip It" by Devo and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" before the session was over.

(Karaoke stars)

Then phase two of Korean partying kicked into effect. I was admitted into a titanic Las Vegas style night club that took up the entire floor of a large building. The 20 foot high ceilings were covered with a shifting mural of the night sky depicted by altering lights so that galaxies and constellations fluxed above the dark room. A 14 piece band played Korean pop music and I was made to dance against my will, the only move I know is to play theoretical interpretations of the melodies on air guitar, by my well meaning group of co-workers. You dance yourself crazy, then run back to the table to get beer, eat fruit, pretzles, nuts, then get dragged back out on the dance floor. All in all it was insanely fun and I know this is a part of Korean life I never would've experienced if it wasn't for the goodwill and friendship my co-workers have heaped on me.
(Night club ceiling)


No comments:

Post a Comment