Friday, April 23, 2010

It's a Ripoff


The biggest supermarket in Korea is called E-mart. I went there to buy a tube of toothpaste and a few other sundries. When I got to the check out line an older Western woman in front kept looking me over with a palpable intensity. I began to feel uncomfortable and she finally said "I'm sorry to bother you, but you look exactly my son who died in the Iraq war and we used to shop here together all the time." I didn't know what to say. "You know, if you wouldn't mind, could you please just say 'Bye Mom!' to me when I leave?" I thought about it for a moment and said, "Sure." Still unsure of where this was going. She gathered her items and turned to me and said "Goodbye son!" enthusiastically. "Bye Mom!" I uttered feeling strange. She left and the cashier rang up me up. The price displayed on the screen was 60,000 Won. This was far more than the cost of what I had bought. "Mistake." I said, "I've only got this toothpaste, Windex, and a pen." I hoped the cashier would understand my English. "Your mother said you pay for her." He responded matter of factly. It suddenly hit me that I'd been scammed. "That wasn't my mother!" The cashier said, "She say, Goodbye son." Wait one moment," I told the cashier, "I'll be back." and I rushed out to the subway terminal and found her just entering the turnstiles. I grabbed her by the leg and starting pulling it to drag her back to the store...I pulled and pulled... just like I'M PULLIN YOUR LEG RIGHT NOW!

Harhar!

I used this joke as an ice breaking opener at the Gepik orientation. 50% of the time it didn't really go over too well. Most of them actually got offended that I would dare to bullshit them with my bullshit amongst all their various bullshit. The original version was written by Jack Kerouac and perpetuated by Tom Waites on his last album.





1 comment:

  1. there's actually an entry for that scam on snopes:

    http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/dupe/checkout.asp

    i dig the parisian barbershop variation further down on that page.....

    ReplyDelete